Employment opportunities will be posted as they become available. We encourage you to check back here regularly.
VACANCY: Communications Programme Officer – Arabic
Musawah is currently seeking an Arabic-Speaking Communications Programme Officer to develop and implement strategies to enhance Musawah’s voice and engage with Advocates and audiences in Arabic-speaking contexts. The Officer also will manage Musawah’s Arabic website (www.arabic.musawah.org) and assist in digital and offline engagement, online advocacy, content writing, and social media efforts in English and Arabic.
The Communications Officer will be based at the Secretariat in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and will report to the Programme Manager. S/he will work closely with another Communications Officer and other Musawah Programme Officers and members of the Secretariat. This position offers a competitive salary appropriate for the non-profit sector, dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Closing date of applications: 30 September 2019
- Collaborate to develop annual communications (including digital) workplan and budget; develop strategies for all of Musawah’s programmatic areas to broaden outreach, mobilise activism, and inspire public support.
- Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support and promote Musawah’s work; create and implement media strategies to capitalise on them.
- Contribute to developing Musawah’s “core” messages and ensure consistency across all media platforms.
- Assist in writing, event management, publications production, and multimedia development.
- Write, edit and disseminate media relations materials and respond to media inquiries.
- Contribute to the production of Musawah’s constituent engagement content (e.g. Mailchimp announcements and Musawah’s quarterly newsletter, Vision).
- Help maintain and update Musawah’s database using Airtable.
- Represent Musawah at various national, regional and international meetings.
- Develop fundraising proposals for communications activities and prepare subsequent impact and narrative reports to meet reporting obligations to funders and board.
- Work closely with other Musawah programme officers and regularly participate in Secretariat and other meetings (virtual and in-person) to ensure programmatic strategic direction and coherence.
More specific duties:
- Develop Musawah’s social media strategy, messaging, and campaigns to grow our online presence among Arabic-speaking constituencies;
- Lead in the administration of the Musawah Arabic website (www.arabic.musawah.org) using Drupal, with a longer-term goal of migrating to WordPress.
- Translating Musawah resources into digital campaigns that reach new audiences and drive online traffic to both of Musawah’s websites.
- Monitor and analyse online traffic using Google Analytics and SEO tools
Skills & Experience — The Communications Programme Officer should be able to meet most of the following:
- As Musawah addresses equality and justice in the Muslim family, the majority of those leading Musawah and working in the Secretariat are expected to have personal experience of Muslim family laws or practices.
Good command of English and Arabic. Fluency in French is an advantage.
- B.A required; advanced degree in Communications, Journalism, or Gender preferred.
- 4-6 years communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy, media relations and constituency building.
- Exceptional and creative written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Experience administering social media and website in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player with strong ability to work collaboratively and coordinate activities/efforts with remote staff, preferably in an international environment.
- Knowledge of issues related to women, gender and Islam.
- Passionate belief in the vision, mission and objectives of Musawah.
- Strong sensitivity and commitment to diversity related to beliefs, perspectives, cultures, geography, and sexuality and gender identity.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Additional IT skills are an advantage: Google Analytics and SEO optimisation; Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator); photo and video editing; ICT advocacy; digital security; HTML, content management systems, or WordPress.
Please send us: (1) a current CV / résumé; (2) a cover letter of 1-2 pages that tells us about how you heard about this opening, how you meet the criteria for the position, and why you think Musawah might be a good fit; (3) contact information for at least two professional references; and (4) a writing sample in Arabic.
Send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Musawah Communications Programme Officer-Arabic’ in the subject line of the email.
The application closing date is 30 September 2019. We will consider applications on a rolling basis; shortlisted candidates will be contacted and interviews will take place in person or via Skype in October 2019.