Employment opportunities will be posted as they become available. We encourage you to check back here regularly.
Musawah (www.www.musawah.org) is a global movement for equality and justice in the Muslim family that advances human rights for women living in Muslim contexts, in both their public and private lives.
We act to grow the movement, build knowledge, and advocate for change in discriminatory laws and practices in Muslim contexts. Musawah was launched in February 2009 at a Global Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, that was attended by over 250 women and men from some 50 countries of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, North America and the Pacific. In 2020, we launched our Campaign for Justice in Muslim Family Laws to amplify our voice and accelerate action towards equality and justice.
Executive Assistant to the Co-Director
Musawah (www.musawah.org) is a global movement for equality and justice in the Muslim family that advances rights for women living in Muslim contexts, in both their public and private lives.
We act to strengthen the movement, build knowledge and advocate for change in discriminatory laws and practices. Musawah was launched in February 2009 at a Global Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, that was attended by over 250 women and men from some 50 countries of Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, North America and the Pacific.
Musawah Co-Director (external) is currently seeking a An Executive Assistant based in London to handle a wide range of high-level administrative tasks including executive communication, handling of sensitive and confidential documents and coordinating the Co-Director’s diary and events.
**Closing date of applications: 19 November 2021
- Help facilitate contact and relationships between co-director, staff, and external partners
- Manage co-directors’ calendars and set up meetings across different time zones
- Manage information flow in a timely and accurate manner
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements (when travel is permitted)
- Keep record of expenses incurred and pass on to Finance
- Format information for internal and external communication – emails, posts, presentations, reports for and with the co-director
- Take minutes during meetings
- Screen and direct emails
- Organise and maintain the co-director’s virtual filing system and upload things to shared drive where applicable
- Collate action points from meetings and support in meeting their deadlines
- Prepare weekly pre- meeting schedule with relevant information and notes
- Participate in the Secretariat and all staff related meetings (virtual and in-person).
- Support the Secretariat with any administrative, logistics or backend work during Musawah organised training courses and/or events.
- Carry out other duties as may be reasonably required to meet the primary objectives of the position.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
This role requires flexibility, initiative and discretion. The ideal candidate is highly organised and proactive with strong people and communication skills. They will have a good working knowledge of Google workspace and carry out virtual high level administrative and PA support with ease. They will have a can-do attitude and are committed to self-improvement. They respond positively to constructive feedback when given, as well as being a committed team player.
You will be passionate about gender equality, women’s rights and anti-racism. You will and have a respect for or understanding of the basic principles of Islam.
The post holder will require the following person specifications:
- At least three years’ experience of office administration preferably in an Executive Assistant or Personal Assistant capacity
- Outstanding organisational skills including time management, juggling conflicting priorities and with attention for detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Discretion and confidentiality
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills, with a “can do” attitude and a team player with proven ability to work collaboratively in global and virtual teams
- Strong sensitivity and commitment to diversity related to beliefs, perspectives, cultures, geography, and sexuality
- Experience of virtual office support with and/or willingness to learn Google Suite, social media platforms and online advocacy tools (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Linkedin, HootSuite, etc.), Zoom video conferencing; and other digital tools as needed
- Passionate belief in the vision, mission and objectives of Musawah, knowledge of issues related to women, gender and Islam, and a commitment to women’s human rights and a global feminist perspective.
Location, Salary and Benefits
This is a 3-month contract for 21 hours per week- with possible extension if funding is available. Pay is British £13.7 or equivalent to US$18.60 per hour.
Successful candidate will have to make their own arrangements to pay tax and NI contribution as this is a consultancy contract initially until the charity completes the registration process in the UK.
Ideally the candidate will be based in London and will help set up the London office. The majority of work will be carried out from home with an expectation of meeting face to face once a week.
How to Apply
Please send in your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the post addressing all the points in the ‘Knowledge, Skills and Experience’ section to [email protected].
The application closing date is 19 November 2021.
We thank all those who apply; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Social Media Content Creator (Arabic)
Musawah is currently seeking the services of a Social Media Content Creator (fluent in Arabic & English) to support the Communications team in content creation for its social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram) for a six month-long contract, with a possible extension.
Before applying, please ensure that you read the Terms of Reference attached to the role.
For more information and submission of CV, portfolio and quotation, please e-mail with the subject ‘TOR Social Media Content Creator – (Your Name)’ to [email protected]. Deadline for CV, portfolio and quotation is by 5.00 pm Malaysia time on 30 November.
Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.
**We are not taking on any new interns for this cycle**
Musawah will consider general applications for interns who are interested in working on communications and outreach advocacy projects related to Muslim women’s rights, feminist Islamic knowledge building, and family law reforms around the world.
- Fluency in English is essential. Competency in Arabic and/or French would be highly desirable.
- Suitable for: Undergraduates or graduate students, or individuals with interests in gender, women’s rights, law, development or public policy; who also have skills in digital engagement, design, and/or research.
- Experience with developing social media content and preparing analytics reports is a plus.
- Proficiency in photo and/or video editing, including Canva, is especially welcome.
Internship generally are unpaid (although we will try to provide a stipend) and occur in four cycles each year, beginning in January, April, June, and September. While we will consider applications for the next cycle on a rolling basis, we encourage you to apply at least one month in advance of your desired starting month.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications, and a recent CV to musawah (at) www.musawah.org. Please include ‘Musawah Internship’ in the subject line of the email, unless you are applying to a specific posting.