Musawah serves to strengthen Muslim women’s voices at the regional and international levels.
Musawah works to raise the visibility of initiatives that advocate equality and justice in the Muslim family. A key strategy is engagement with the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) and its treaty body, the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW Committee), and with NGOs involved in the CEDAW reporting process.
- Introduce the Musawah Framework to women’s human rights NGOs and activists who are involved in preparing CEDAW shadow reports and are engaging with CEDAW Committee members on key issues related to Islam and women’s rights in their countries.
- Maintain engagement with CEDAW Committee members on the Musawah Framework and submit thematic reports on Article 16 on Marriage and Family for reporting States Parties where shadow reports have not been submitted or where they are silent on Muslim family laws and practices.
- Promote perspectives derived from the Musawah Framework and analyses to the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), United Nations treaty bodies and special mechanisms, and international, regional, and national NGOs involved in international advocacy.
- Assess possibly entry points for advocacy in relation to regional and international bodies and mechanisms such as the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, Arab League, African Union, Universal Periodic Review, and different United Nations special mechanisms.
- NGOs engaged with the CEDAW process are able to use the Musawah Framework and arguments for change to support their demands for equality and justice in family and marriage.
- Experts, officials, and activists engaged with human rights and women’s rights treaty obligations and mechanisms are increasingly familiar with the Musawah Framework and the possibilities for reform to advance equality and justice in Muslim families.
Researching these topics? Access articles and reports regarding the global movement to promote Muslim women's rights in the Musawah Resource Library.